Hearing Test

Hearing Tests

The first step to getting help for hearing problems is to see an audiologist. An audiologist is a health professional who specializes in the identification, evaluation, rehabilitation and prevention of hearing impairment. All audiologists must hold at least a master's degree in audiology and complete a clinical fellowship.

On your first visit to an audiologist, he or she will start by asking you questions about your medical and hearing history. Next, the audiologist will look into your ears using a light, called an otoscope, and check for anything in the ear canal that might affect the test results or require referral to your doctor. Finally, the audiologist will conduct a test or series of tests to assess:

  • Whether there is a hearing loss
  • The cause of the hearing loss (to the extent possible)
  • The degree (one or both ears) of hearing loss
  • The best treatment options

About Audiologists in Colorado

Don't hesitate to verify that the person you are seeing is, in fact, an audiologist. Any professional should have their diplomas, certification and registration displayed in their office.

The State of Colorado requires that anyone who dispenses hearing aids must be registered with the Department of Regulatory Affairs. Both audiologists and hearing aid dispensers must register.

You can find out what credentials an individual practitioner has and whether any disciplinary decisions have been found against them by calling 303-894-2464 or checking the Department of Regulatory Affairs web site: www.dora.state.co.us/audiologists.

A hearing test by an audiologist is the first step in getting help for hearing problems.