THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
This Privacy Notice is provided to you as a requirement of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). It describes how we may use or disclose your protected health information, with whom that information may be shared, and the safeguards we have in place to protect it. This notice also describes your rights to access and amend your protected health information. We have the right to approve or refuse the release of specific information outside of The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language (CHSL) except when the release is required or authorized by law or regulation. Except as described in this notice, your health information will only be used or disclosed with your written authorization. You can revoke your authorization by written request, except to the extent that we have taken action in reliance of such authorization.
OUR DUTIES TO YOU REGARDING PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
We will keep your protected health information private. We will follow the privacy practices that we describe in this notice while it is in effect.
HOW WE MAY USE OR DISCLOSE YOUR PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
Following are examples of permitted uses and disclosures of your protected health information. These examples are not exhaustive.
- Required Uses and Disclosures: By law, we must disclose your health information to you unless it has been determined by a competent medical authority that it would be harmful to you. We must also disclose health information to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for investigations or determinations of our compliance with laws on the protection of your health information.
- Treatment: We will use and disclose your protected health information to provide, coordinate, or manage your healthcare services.
- Payment: Your protected health information will be used as needed, to obtain payment for your healthcare services.
- Healthcare Operations: We will share your protected health information with our third-party business associates.
- Required by Law: We may use or disclose your protected health information if law or regulation requires the use or disclosure.
- Public Health: We may disclose your protected health information to a public health authority that is permitted by law to collect or receive the information.
- Health Oversight Agencies: We may disclose to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law.
- Food and Drug Administration: We may disclose to a person or company required by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Legal Proceedings/Law Enforcement: We may disclose during any judicial or administrative proceeding in response to a court order or for law enforcement purposes.
- Parental Access: Some state laws concerning minors permit or require disclosure of protected information to parents, guardians, and persons acting in a similar legal status.
USES AND DISCLOSURES OF PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION REQUIRING YOUR PERMISSION
In some circumstances, you have the opportunity to agree or object to the use or disclosure of all or part of your protected health information.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
You may exercise the following rights by submitting a written request or electronic message.
- Right to Inspect and Copy: You may inspect and obtain a copy of your protected health information.
- Right to Request Confidential Communications: You may request that we communicate with you using alternative means or at an alternative location. We will accommodate reasonable requests, when possible.
- Right to Request Amendment: You have the right to request that we amend the protected health information in your designated record set for as long as we maintain the protected health information.
- Right to an Accounting of Disclosures: You may request that we provide you with an account of the disclosures we have made of your health information.
- Right to Obtain a Copy of this Notice: You may request to obtain a copy of this notice.
QUESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS
If you want more information about our privacy practices or have questions or concerns, please contact us using the information below.
If you think that we may have violated your privacy rights, or you disagree with a decision we made about your privacy rights, you may tell us using the contact information listed below. You also may submit a written complaint to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. We can give you that address upon request.
We support your right to the privacy of your medical information. We will not retaliate in any way if you choose to file a complaint with us or with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Privacy Officer: Linda Clayton
Address: 4280 Hale Parkway Denver, CO 80220
THIS PRIVACY NOTICE IS PROVIDED TO YOU AS A REQUIREMENT OF THE HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT (HIPAA).
Ethical standards and principles are the foundation for maintaining public trust. To ensure this, a group of concerned fundraising organizations has created the Donor Bill of Rights.
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language has endorsed this policy.
The Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life.
To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed of whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Security of your Personal Information
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure.The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. Donors' personal information is kept in a restricted access system. All hard copy records are held in locked file cabinets.
Review or request removal of your information
You may review or request removal of your personal information by providing us your name, address and email address to one of the following:
A. Email the the Center for Hearing, Speech and Language at email@example.com (or)
B. Call us at 303-322-1871 (or)
C. Write us at:
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language
4280 Hale Parkway
Denver, CO 80220
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language only collects personal contact information (such as names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers) when users submit it voluntarily. To make our website more useful to you, our server automatically collects information when you visit our site, such as, but not limited to, your IP address, date and time of your visit, pages viewed and clickstreams. We will not collect or track information that may identify you personally.
We will not use, sell or exchange your mailing or email addresses.
Images, text, software, documentation, electronic text and image files, audio and video clips and other materials are the property of the Center for Hearing, Speech and Language and will be protected by copyright laws and other restrictions.
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language expressly prohibits the copying of any protected materials on this website, except for the purposes of fair use as defined by copyright law and as described below. This prohibition includes the downloading of site content for commercial use or for use on personal websites.
Fair use of copyrighted material includes the use of protected materials for noncommercial educational purposes, such as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary and news reporting. Users who wish to download or print text and image files from the Center for Hearing, Speech and Language’s website for such uses must request the Center for Hearing, Speech and Language's express permission by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The text, images and content on this website are provided “as is” without a warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular use and/or non-infringement. The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable, for any damage or viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any text, images or content from the website. You acknowledge that if you rely on any information or content on the website, you do so solely at your own risk.
The Center for Hearing, Speech and Language
4280 Hale Parkway
Denver, CO 80220